By Calgary Farmers' Market
Now is the time when thick, tart, juicy red stalks of RHUBARB are appearing at the Calgary Farmers' Market. Did you know that RHUBARB is actually defined as a Perennial Vegetable or Herb? Be it Fruit OR Vegetable it happens to be my favourite filling for Crumbles, Pies, Relishes, Sauces.
- 6 Cups of Rhubarb (washed, strings removed and chopped into bite size chunks)
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- 1/2 Cup White or Whole Wheat Unbleached Flour
- 1/2 Cup chopped Candied Ginger (cut in halves or sliced)
- Using a large bowl add the chopped Rhubarb, Sugar and Flour of choice.
- Using a spatula blend so that the Rhubarb chunks are coated well, add the candied Ginger, stir to blend and empty into a baking dish (I use Pyrex).
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Unbleached Flour
- 1/2 Cup Large Cereal Oats (Quaker works)
- 1/2 Cup Walnut pieces (you can find Walnut “bits” at your super market)
- 1 Tsp. Ground Cardamom - an aromatic Spice that add a gorgeous depth of flavour
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter (room temperature)
- Using your hands, blend the above all together and sprinkle evenly over top of the Rhubarb.
- Place in a pre-heated 375 degree (180 degree Celsius) oven and bake for 45 - 60 minutes.